Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween From Dollie and Me

Several years ago I stumbled upon a book while living in England.  It was about a doll named Blythe.  I was very interested because I had a Blythe doll when I was young.  The book is Hello Blythe!  30 Postcards (Collectible Postcards), by Gina Garan (publisher: Chronicle Books, published: March 26, 2004).  The book was about Blythe's travels told in postcards.   I bought the book and really got a kick out of it. 


Here's a picture of my vintage Blythe doll:


At the time I didn't know new Blythe dolls were being made.  The current Blythe web site says:

Manufactured by Kenner in 1972, the original Blythe (now known as “vintage”) was produced for only one year and then was retired because of poor sales.

Thirty years later, in 1999, Junko Wong, President and CEO of CWC saw Blythe snapshots at the CWC New York office opening party. She fell in love with Blythe and knew she would be an instant sensation in Japan.

Then, in late 2000, she made her comeback in Japan when CWC produced a charming TV commercial for Parco department store starring Blythe. After the TV spotlight she became an overnight sensation in Japan and Asia.
 
Neo Blythe was reborn, no longer as a child’s toy but as a fashion doll appealing to adult doll collectors. Neo Blythe ushered in the era of contemporary doll culture and collecting.


Fast forward nine years.  This time I stumbled over a eighteen inch doll called Dollie and Me.  Made by the Madame Alexander Doll Company, she reminded me of an American Girl doll, only less expensive (and just as beautiful).  For some reason I got it in my head that I could do with this doll what Gina Garan did with her Blythe doll in her book - only I would photograph my doll in various holiday outfits instead of travel sites.  I guess it popped into my head because I'm taking a beginner's photography class and needed a subject.

I bought the doll and embarked on a shopping spree for her on ebay.  After purchasing dozens of outfits, shoes, tights, etc. I was ready.  This is my first "official" holiday picture:
 
 
 
I didn't make the outfit (I'm not a good seamstress) but I did make a necklace for her to go with the outfit:
 

Here she is in her trick-or-treat outfit:


Next is a Thanksgiving shot.  And maybe a Thanksgiving necklace!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN FROM DOLLIE AND ME!

 

 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment